Week 4 - Toy Story


Though I found it hard to pick a media text that has changed my life, I finally decided that a film which had made the biggest impact on my life would be Toy Story. Released in 1995, a year before I was born, and released by Disney Pixar, it is arguably one of the most loved animated films worldwide.

I probably first watched Toy Story when I was about four or five. Since then, I’ve always believed in the magic of the world. Though nowadays I know toys actually can’t come to life (hopefully?), Disney is beautifully able to leave their mark on anybody, young or old. The film features two central characters, Buzz Lightyear and Woody, and the adventure they get up to. The film was something of a revolution for cartoon, with the third instalment just as popular two years back.  Back in 1995 it went on to make more than $360,000,000 worldwide in the opening weekend alone.

Toy Story was definitely my favourite childhood film, and a regular technique from Disney, the messages and morals hidden within the film are what seem to stand out the most. Probably the most prominent, is that friendship conquers anything; reinforced by the movies leading song, ‘You’ve Got a Friend in Me’, which is ironically one of my favourite songs. From the first time I ever seen the film, it always left me with a sense of security and make-believe; that anything can come true. This is exactly how the film has managed to have the impact it has on me, because no matter how many times I see it, it’ll always take me back to the place it did the very first time.  

Toy Story is one of those films that won’t just slip away, but instead only continue to create memories and inspire thousands.  It’s hard to find anybody who hasn’t seen this film at least once, and from my generation, I think it is safe to say that I will be one of many in which this film has a special place inside their heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.