Media Diary; Nevermind

Nirvana: Nevermind

I have vivid memories of myself dancing around the living room to Smells Like Teen Spirit from the age of around four, and even scribbling crayon drawings of Kurt Cobain, labelling it 'Nervarnar'. Born into an extremely musical family, I was brought up listening to The Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, David Bowie, Lennie Kravitz, Stevie Wonder, and of course Nirvana. There was always something about that particular song that interested me, and it still does to this day. It was only at the age of 14 that after years of telling me to, I took notice of my brother and listened to the full Nevermind album, and I have never looked back since. 

I was already a fan of bands, I didn't really listen to much else, however listening to Nevermind really did change my life. I loved the music, I loved the husky vocal, but my interest didn't stop there. I then began researching deeper into the tragedy that is Kurt Cobain's suicide. I watched documentaries, read books, articles, read his suicide note, and even read his diary. Through this I have learned so much; everyone is fighting their demons, and half of the time, everyone on the outside is unaware. Kurt lead a very troubled life, and it was always visible that he was unhappy with some elements of his life, but I don't think anyone realised his true problems lay deeper than that of battling drug abuse. He cared for people too much, and he didn't want to carry on fooling his fans into thinking he was enjoying what he was doing for any longer. He loved people. He thought somebody else deserved to do what he was doing, someone who would fall in love with it. 

It still amazes me that Cobain started a revolution, a whole new genre of music. He became the voice of 90s youth, and to everyone who watched this happen, it is something I will forever be envious of; the fact that I wasn't around to witness him take over society. I believe that everyone needs some sort of outlet in life, something they can drive their emotions in to, and Kurt's was music. I am one of millions that are so thankful for this, and he will never know how many lives he changed and hearts he touched. Not only with his music, but of course, his story too. 

Listening to Nirvana opened up the flood gates for my ears, and since, I have listened to so many different bands. When I listen to something, I think it's nice to hear the artist's influences, and more often than not, you can totally hear Nirvana, which is a reflection of how many people Kurt reached. Obviously, anyone who knows anything about music, good music, is a fan of Nirvana. Sometimes I will hear the riffs, other times it will be the drums, and sometimes the melodic pop vibes that you hear in songs such as Drain You and In Bloom.

I will never understand why people don't like Nirvana, but they can't understand why I do. I suppose everyone has different taste, but seriously, you should know good music when you hear it. I really did fall in love with Nirvana, and I still am in love with them today, and I know I always will be. 

'I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not' - Kurt Cobain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.