Textual analysis of Thelma and Louise

The film I analysed on representations is Thelma and Louise. The codes I analysed they were audio codes, technical codes, narrative codes and characters. I looked at the opening scene and the scene at the end. At the end I found that the representation of women had changed from the opening scene, as in the opening scene it had stereotypical roles of women for example Thelma is a housewife and Louise is a waitress but in the ending scene we see that the womens roles had changed as the women now have freedom and authority over men due to their gun.

The first thing I am going to analyse is the technical codes and what  I analysed was the lighting. In the opening scene we the lighting is dull due to the lights in restaraunt and I think this represents the type of job the women have to undertake and it the rooms are dull and you get a sense the women also lead a dull life. In the end scene the lighting is coming from the sun and this could represent the freedom the women have now found.

The next code I am going to analyse is audio codes. In the end video we see that the woman blow up a truck but they play music with a happy tone which is no digetic.The music is happy toned because I think this again is used to show how happy they are with there freedom and how they now have a bit of authority over men due to their gun and can make them do what they want just like the way they were treated before.

The next thing I am going to talk about is characters. I am going to talk about the costume in the film and we see the women are wearing a hat and sunglasses after they have blew up the truck and this is used for them to hide there identity from the police and this links in with Louise wearing a waitress outfit in the opening scenes so she fits in with the crowd and doesn't stand out. So using the caps and hats could say that the women have lost their identity again as they are now shying away from the crowd like before.

Overall I would say that the film has a good representation of women as they are portrayed as strong and independent but I think it reverts to stereotypical views of men in the film as we see the man whos truck was blew up as an "idiot" and also a sex pest. Overall I would say the film has a good representation of women.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.