Media Diary Week 3: Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor

For Media Diary Week 3, I have decided to look at the new game: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor which has been popping up all over the media's I consume the most.


The Bright Lord Trailer For Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor.
(posted 2 months ago)

When it comes to the 'Income/Status' model, this piece of media would appeal to people in C2 and Lower. This is because they don't have important jobs and big responsibilities like those of the higher classes, the smallness of their jobs would also give them more free time to play the game and such.

I put this media to an 'Audience Profile' model, in which I gained these results.
I decided that the gender for the audience profile would be male, this is because, stereo-typically, males are seen as having a greater interest in fantasy universes (like middle-earth) and video games.
I also decided that the age group would be around 20s - 30s as this age group isn't held back by responsibilities brought on by age, like children, more important work, etc.
I decided that the family would be along the lines of living alone or living with a partner, as people in the age range I have chosen usually live like this.
I also decided that the self image of this audience profile would be something that describes them as average or in need of escapism as video games and worlds of fantasy are used as sources of escapism.
I feel that the class for this audience profile would be C2 and Lower, for the reason I have already listed above.
I personally feel that the ethnicity and the nation for the audience profile cannot really be backed up by the media I have chosen so I have left it as White, British.
The education for this profile would be average high school education as those with a higher education wouldn't be satisfied with any theories or ways the fantasy world works because of their wider knowledge.
Religion for this audience profile would most likely be Non-Religious as fantasy worlds like to introduce a lot of religious elements that people who hold a religion close to them would disagree.
Politics for this audience would be a 'doesn't effect me' outlook as they have more interest in worlds of fantasy than their own, as they use this media text to get away from those things.

When applying this media to the 'Young and Rubicam's 4Cs' model, I have found that this media matches to the Explorer and Mainstreamer. The Mainstreamer because this game is under the brand of Warner Brothers, which is very trusted and usually produces content for all. The Explorer because this game pushes forward a lot of new mechanics that would appeal to The Explorer's interest in things that are different and new.

When putting this media up to the 'Lifestyle Categories' model, I found that the groups that would be most attracted to this media text would be: Groupies and Cynics. I have decided that Groupies would be attracted to this product as it is quite popular, and it appeals to them wanting to be accepted by those around them. Cynics because video games attract them a lot because of the obvious imperfects that they have, so it appeals to them always having something to complain about.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.