Media diary week 4

The film The Breakfast Club is the media text I think has changed my life. It was made in 1985 and was directed by John Hughes and it tells the story of five high school teenagers and their problems at home and their deepest secrets. I had always heard from others that it was a good film and had always wanted to watch it and when I finally got round to watching it a few months ago I loved it. I loved the way that even though it was made a while ago it doesn't seem old and that the characters have the same problems and pressures that teenagers face today. I love the way as the film goes on we learn more about the characters and how they slowly unravel their secrets and find out that they all have strained  relationships with their parents.I really sympathised with the characters and how they reveal their stress to others and how they feel pressure from others (mostly their friendship groups) to behave in a certain way or say the right things. The letter at the end of the film explains to us (and the teacher) that teenagers don't care how adults perceive us and that sometimes we just have to agree and accept our stereotypes if that's who we are. My favourite thing about the film is that fact that it never ends! The film finishes in a way that we (the audience) gets to decide what happens to the characters and whether they stay friends on Monday. The film lets you decide how things turn out and no one can tell you it's wrong. I also love the song Don't You (forget about me) by Simple Minds that plays as the film ends which always reminds me of The Breakfast Club and that the characters will never forget about each other, whether they stay friends or not.
This film over took my usual favourite film (500) days of summer because I can relate to it more. I think other teenagers will be able to relate to the film but because its just one setting and there's no action that people will either love it or hate it.


The letter to the principal:

Dear Mr Vernon
We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever we did wrong. What we did was wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us. In the simplest terms, the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each of us is a brain and an athlete and a basket case, a princess  and a criminal. Does that answer your question?
Sincerely yours,
The Breakfast Club

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.