Media Diary Week 4

"Bad Blood"


A media text that has changed my life is the album "Bad Blood" by indie rock / pop band Bastille when listening to music. Like many others, I was first introduced to this band at the start of 2013 when they released their breakthrough single "Pompeii", a track which scored them number 2 in the UK Singles Chart. At the time I was getting tired of hearing over played pop songs on the radio but this song grabbed my attention and sounded like nothing else on current pop radio and I immediately wanted to hear more. 

After listening to the album for the first time I was straight away hooked to the diversity of songs and melodies, from the anthemic "Laura Palmer" to the piano balladry in 'Oblivion'. Also I found myself engaging with the vivid lyrics which were also quite authentic. Before listening to this album, I had never really found myself particularly liking every song on an album which also caused me to have this album on replay. Also in comparison to what I had previously been listening to, this album seemed a lot more heartfelt and as a result as a whole, I found myself sharing the album with my friends who also share a similar taste in music.

Later that year, the band released an extended version of the album "All This Bad Blood" which included another 12 songs which featured the same electronic pop / rock feel however they all still engaged me with their use of instrumental harmonies and lead singer Dan Smith's distinct vocals. Listening to this album consequently encouraged me to discover more artists of the same genre of music which I now go nearly every day listening to. It has also caused me to discover new artists who I probably wouldn't of thought of listening to allowing me to listen to a wider variety of artists and genres in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.