Media Diary - Week 4


The text that changed my life: Demi Lovato Stay Strong documentary (2012)

This media text is definitely the one that has had the biggest impact on my life so far. This text is about my idol Demi Lovato and her journey through recovering from mental illness whilst going on her first tour, since she went into rehab. This documentary gives the audience a very personal insight to Demi’s life, with unseen footage and interviews with the star.  As a massive fan of Demi, it was very emotional for me to watch her speak so openly and passionately about her struggles, so that she can help others going through the same things.  I think that for many people, when we look up to someone, it is very easy for us to believe what they say, so when she is giving us her story and showing us the right way to go about dealing with things – even if it isn’t what we want to here, we feel more compelled to believe that it is true. Demi also lets the MTV audience witness first-hand her on-going evolution as an artist - as she grows from her Disney past and tries on a new persona as confessional singer-songwriter, and performs a deeply personal and emotional album in front of thousands of people for the first time.

I remember sitting down and watching this for the first time in 2012, and just being so overwhelmed and emotional throughout the whole of the documentary. There was a single moment in the media text when I got so emotional and started crying – this was the point where Demi went back to visit her treatment centre to give a speech to the girls there who are suffering with the same things as she did/does.  Listening to her being so honest and giving such powerful advice, really struck a nerve for me and it felt so relatable and personal.
I think that this media text has influenced me a great deal, as it has had an effect on decisions I’ve made the past two years and even more so the months after watching it. There is a lot of useful advice within the documentary and I know that it has had the same effect on many other fans that have experienced the same things as she has.


I think that anyone would enjoy this documentary as most people enjoy finding out more about celebrities lives, however I think that it would mostly appeal to her fans and teenagers, as they would have more of an interest in Demi herself, as they will know of her past and her struggles and will look forward to seeing the recovered, happy healthy side to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.