Media diary – week 5


Uses and gratification

I have recently listened to The Fault in Our Stars soundtrack a lot! As I do with most albums that I listen too, I do it as a form as escapism, this is a very common reason as to why people listen to music. I use this as a form of escapism as I have enjoyed both reading and watching the book and film version of John Green’s TFIOS; I found the storyline extremely gripping and informative as it explained that living with cancer is not always a negative experience, but also gave an insight into cancer patients live, thoroughly explaining the ins and outs. When it comes to the soundtrack from the film, there is a mixture of both happy and sad songs; there is also a wide variety of artists which I enjoyed because there are both mainstream and less well known artists featured on the album. This gave me a chance to indulge in other people’s music that I would not usually choose to listen to.  The songs featured on the album are quite emotional, I think the main reason I enjoy the album so much is because I associate it with the film, and also who I went to see the film with, meaning that it affects me on a more personal level.  Both the book, film, and soundtrack have been a popular topic of conversation for many people around my age group as it was a bestseller worldwide. For months it was the main topic on social networking sites for thousands of people. This also resulted in the author John Green becoming more famous and his other books becoming popular and well known.


Another media text that I have consumed over the past week is the TV series Skins that used to be aired on channel 4, but is now only available to watch on demand or by purchasing the DVD box set. I watch this series for quite a few reasons but mainly for personal identity and entertainment.  I identify with this media text mainly because the programme is based on a group of teenagers and their two years at sixth form, so the problems and dramas they encounter are realistic and relatable to me. Another thing that I can identify with is the fact that the writers of the series are teenagers/young adults, meaning they understand what the audience will respond well too.  There is a very humorous element to the show making it entertaining to watch, as there is an intriguing storyline throughout the series and each episode is new and exciting. I wouldn't personally say that this media text falls into the social interaction category, due to the fact that it is not currently being aired on television anymore, so it is not usually a hot topic of conversation, and when people do talk about it, it is usually in a nostalgic manor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.