Media Diary-Week 4

Media Diary-Week 4: The text that changed my life

Dolly Parton-Blue Smoke

Dolly Parton is an award winning country music singer/songwriter, however she is also known for her other works as an actress and author. Dolly Parton entered the Country Music Hall of Fame and is best known for songs such as 'Jolene', 'I Will Always Love You', '9 to 5' and 'Coat of Many Colours'. Blue Smoke is Dolly Parton's 42nd solo studio album released early in 2014, which includes not only new songs but also some of her greatest hits in country music.

This album has changed my life in many different ways, since listening to this album my taste in music has completely changed and I have now become a big fan of country and country/rock music and listen to other musicians such as Uncle Kracker, Carrie Underwood, Lady Antebellum and Hunter Hayes. I first heard part of this album simply on an advert and became a fan and asked for the album for my birthday. I had obviously heard famous songs such as '9 to 5' and 'I Will Always Love You'  as I grew up but I never really appreciated and listened to the lyrics of the songs. I now listen to this album all the time and can fully connect with the songs. 

I particularly connect to a song called 'Try' I listen to this song a lot and love what this song is trying to tell the listener. This song speaks about people's dreams and that to be successful you have to try your hardest to be the best person you can possibly be. The song talks about making the most of things and that anything is possible if you believe in yourself, it doesn't matter if you don't succeed at first but you have to try again because life is hard. I connect with this song because I can relate with certain situations and how hard it can be to deal with them, I think I in particularly connect with this song because I am not a very confident person meaning I find certain situations hard to deal with, I also think that due to loving Disney as a child I am a big believer in following your dreams which this talks about throughout the song.

This album speaks about many issues in a persons life, e.g. Love and heartbreak.
This album also has a song called 'You Can't Make Old Friends' which features well known country singer Kenny Rogers. This is a very emotional song and talks about how people/friendships change and how important friendship is important in peoples lives, this songs speaks about how reliable friends can be throughout our lives.  This song is also a very different to a song the two have previously collaborated on which is called 'Islands in the Stream' and talks about two people coming together and falling in love.

This album has completely changed my media consumption. My taste of music has changed and how I listen to songs, I appreciate the lyrics more a prefer music that has a meaning to it. This album has opened up a whole genre of music to me. I think that each individual song has a real meaning behind them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.