Media Diary Week Four

Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

When I look back to my childhood I am surrounded by many different media texts; films, television shows, magazines and, most importantly, music. As a precursor to my ability to develop mine own tastes and discover what it is that I seek for musical entertainment, I had to first learn what music is. Many people will have conflicting opinions on this matter as 'music' has become such an umbrella term but in my life I have been raised to identify music as simply a skill.
Due to my parents being young when I was born, they grew up with the new trend of dance music, so it is definitely not them that taught me this, my grandparents did not have strong musical influences on me until much later in my life so I did not learn this from them and as an only child I had no siblings to discover new music with. However, my aunties (both late teens/early adults when I was a child) had a strong taste in what music they liked: Queen, Led Zeppelin, and what sticks to me until this very day, Guns N' Roses.

When I first heard the Sweet Child O' Mine introduction it blew my mind, I simply could not comprehend how someone could have a skill so good as to inspire thousands of feelings inside millions of people all at the same time, each note resounding more than the last yet Slash was able to captivate audiences all around the world with his stunning talent; myself included.
Axl Rose's outstanding vocal range on this album show him at the peak of his career before things may have took a turn for the worse with his personal life, but none of that is clear through truly chilling performances that work well to gel the piece together and complete the text.

For the rest of my life that was to follow, my musical taste has remained something that I am proud of  and even though it has broadened with time, there is still a rock core that I can trace all the way back to these memories of listening to Welcome to the Jungle through my aunties speakers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.