Media Diary- Week 2: The Great Gatsby 2013

As an English Literature student in class we've been reading The Great Gatsby, so naturally at the weekend I went home and watched the film. I decided to watch the 2013 adaptation with Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Carey Mulligan; directed by Baz Luhrmann the film itself won 2 Oscars as well as 41other awards and received 51 other nomination. I have to be honest I wasn't sure whether to watch the film- not because I didn't want to spoil the ending, simply because when I've watched the trailer I just got very confused. However, after watching the film I just realised I should of watched it a long time ago! I cannot begin to express how amazed I am after watching the film itself; The visual effects, the costumes, the cars, the portrayal of the characters was just phenomenal!

The Great Gatsby is the adaptation of F.Scott.Fitzgerald's novel 'The Great Gatsby'; the story itself is about the mysterious Mr Gatsby, who throws the elaborate yet extraordinary parties. Although the film is primarily about Gatsby it's told through the eyes of Nick Carraway, Nick lives next door to Gatsby and is recounting his memories of the events of the summer but will it be the nouveau riche of West Egg or the traditional wealth of East Egg that wins the underlining battle of American society. Most of all will viewers get answer they crave...Just who is Jay Gatsby and is he all that he seems to be?

As a whole the film is a credit to Baz Luhrmann; obviously the film would never be an exact copy of the novel but it grasps the concept to a tee. The major scenes are set, scripted and filmed perfectly- the visual effects make the facade of Gatsby seem so much more real. Explosions of colour burst onto the screen with monstorous impact that can't be ignored; one of my personal favourite scenes is the first party of Gatsby's that Nick attends, looking through Nick's eyes you see the shining lights, glamorous gown, suave suits and the crazed guests drunk and as giddy as teenagers!In the film you are drawn to Gatsby's aura, I think you find yourself yearning to be apart of the story or at least a part f you wishes you could have been there in the 1920's to experience this big, American party of the century!

DiCaprio played a fantastic Gatsby on screen and would have done Fitgerald proud, he is the ambiguous, tragically romantic man that enchants you from beginning to end. I've never been a fan of Tobey Maguire (judge me, but not even in Spiderman) however in Gatsby his Nick Carraway is enticing- questioning who Gatsby is and whether he's trust worthy. The only actor I would change was Joel Edgerton as Tom Buchanan; he certainly has the intimidating, physical demeanour about him but personally he's just not what I imagine as my vision of Tom.

My favourite thing about the film would have to be the way the 1920's and all it's energy was brought to life though the camera lense. This was down to the beautiful costumes in the various array of colours, with there stunning, classic designs. One aspect that did stand out was the soundtrack- it brought the classic and modern together as one- artists on the soundtrack itself include Will.I.Am, Jay-Z, Beyonce and various other artists. Hearing the music throughout the film did strike me because I genuinely assumed it would be classic for the 1920's with elements of jazz, so to be able to hear such modern artists was a pleasant surprise.

I would definitely recommend this film to anyone whether they're a literature student or if they've read the book or not. Luhrmann has produced another delight for his audience; it's beautiful, it's poetic and it captures Fitzgerald's book incredibly. I think this will now be one of my favourite, go to films!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.