Media Diary: Week 2

Name: 'Mass Effect' (Trilogy game series)

The Mass Effect game series is a Sci-fi, action and adventure based video game which was made by EA and Bioware. Came out November 20, 2007, playing as a customisable human character who is also a soldier for the human race building your own reputation in the universe. Since then Mass Effect has only gained in popularity as the sequel Mass Effect 2 coming out in January 26, 2010, following the same story as Mass Effect got Game of the year in it's respective year, two years later on March 6, 2012 Mass Effect 3 came out ending the trilogy and the main story. Since then there has been confirmation on a 4th game but this game won't follow the same story line as the first 3. .
I found it when at the start of the summer holidays when I went into town and decided to go into the shop 'Game' and I saw the trilogy box set, the cover of the box set caught my eye, I had heard of it previously and thought well I might as well give it a try. I started playing the trilogy during the summer holiday's term in 2013 completing it in the same holiday term. Since first starting the game and finishing it, I loved every second spent on each game.
My first reaction to the game was "YES" because I was able to customise my own character and even give him a back story. Once sitting through the introduction into the game I actually got to explore the Normandy (the spaceship your character owns) after speaking to some of the crew and exploring I got to meet one of the first main protagonists in the game and who goes through all the experiences with you. The pilot aka Joker. With his funny and snappy remarks in the conversation I had with him, I already liked him. Once seeing the environment of the game and the beauty it held from the scenery I grew to instantly love the game. Also the added freedom of exploring certain planets across the universe meant I could see the amount of effort was put into the game and couldn't help myself but to explore each planet and getting side tracked from the game. But once finding out that I actually could make own decisions in the game, I knew it was going to leave an impact on me, but upon finishing the game after meeting all the memorable characters after leading a heroic story as if I built an actual legend for the history books, it ended with an awful ending to a great series with limited options to how it ends. But after all that might be why I love this game series even more and admire it even more because how good the actual start and journey was! But once I put the box set into my draw, I became upset about the fact that I wouldn't be able to return to the times I felt happy, sad, angered or surprised without already knowing what happens.
I reckon that the Mass Effect series has such a massive fan base due to it's great story and great reviews given by big organisations such as IGN quote "one of the best Sci-fi story for a game last decade and possibly of all time". This I imagine would be a big draw of attention, but as well as it's a very original game with an unique story means that anyone can get addicted to this one of a kind games. Even though I really enjoyed this game the ending will get people angry at the makers of the game as the ending is a dishonest, dreadful and disgusting way to end any game. I'm not going to spoil the ending of the trilogy but there are 3 choices to chose from but all 3 are quite similar, even though the game makers said that this wouldn't happen, that being an A,B or C choices to end the game.
Finally, I say that this is one of the all time greatest games I've ever played an will ever play and it's story will always stick with me.        

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.