Media Diary; Week Five

New Girl


During this past week I have recently been watching 'New Girl.' The programme is an American television sitcom, which premiered on September 20th in 2011. Developed by Elizabeth Meriwether, the series revolves around teacher Jess (Zooey Deschanel) after moving into an LA apartment with three men, Nick (Jake Johnson), Schmidt (Max Greenfield) and Winston (Lamorne Morris); Jess' bestfriend Cece (Hannah Simone) and new loftmate Coach (Damon Wayans Jr.) The show combines comedy and drama, represented by the characters, who deal with maturing relationships and career choices.

Produced in Los Angeles as a single-camera comedy, New Girl has received favourable responses from critics, who named the show one of the best new comedies of the 2011 winter season. I think this programme targets mainly teenagers, as the majority of people can relate to the characters. I believe it would also target the Apsirer, and the Mainstreamer. Mainly because of its popularity; both the Aspirer and Mainstreamer follow the crowd in order to achieve what others think is the best and most superficial. They would want to watch it because others do, not because they enjoy/relate to it.

I personally love watching the programme, I find it indeed very relatable as it gives off a sense of realism. It is exactly what you would see everyday, in a normal day-to-day life, and I think that's why so many people and myself enjoy watching. The programme challenges both my entertainment/escapism & social interaction needs. Whenever I am not busy I tend to watch this programme, as a way of escaping from reality. The entertainment side of it is represented mostly by the characters, and their roles in the programme. I do talk about it with other people over social media, and whenever the programme is airing on television a lot of people use hashtags on Twitter to get involved and get the latest updates on the episodes etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.