I would have to say that a guilty pleasure of mine is The Jeremy Kyle Show. When asked if I like this show I will often reply with something like 'I don't understand how you could, it's so fake', however deep down, I really do enjoy it. The Jeremy Kyle Show (Jezza), is a reality talk show, in which we see benefit claiming morons broadcast their deepest problems on National Television, but it truly entertains me. I like to see myself as a Succeeder, however Jezza appeals to the Mainstream, which is why I shouldn't like this show, although I do. Apart from Kyle himself, there are no Succeeders on this show, which is why it is so strange for me to like this show. Compared to other texts I consume, this text doesn't comply. I'm interested in crime dramas and comedies, not particularly in reality and talk shows, which is very peculiar as to why I do enjoy it. I like to think I purposely take and oppositional reading to this, maybe to make myself feel less shameful about watching it. I reject the idea that the purpose and ideologies of the show that it's aim is to help the contestants, however I believe that it is purely for entertainment, and the host has no intention of helping and just wants permission to shout at people that he perceives lesser then him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.