Media diary week 5
The text that changed my life:
I am someone who has always had an interest in music and I’ve always love coming across new artists and different styles and genres but an album that changed my life was ‘All the Little Lights’ by passenger. This was the first album of passenger’s that I listened to and was instantly intrigued to him by his number one single ‘let her go’ in 2012. His music was completely different to what I had heard before and connected with me on an emotional and spiritual level.  His music is based on his life experiences and how he has tackled all of his problems to get to where he is now. ‘All the Little Lights’ has a lot of poetical and meaningful songs that have obviously took a lot of time to write and piece together to make such intricate music which I appreciated as now a days a lot of pop music is just sound rather than meaningful lyrics.

From this I took more of an interest in writing and reading and found myself picking up some of his song writing techniques and putting them in to practice with in my own writing. I believe that it changed my outlook slightly on life and discovered that everything doesn’t have to be perfect in order for you to achieve your goals. He explored the difficulties of growing up and the struggles of money, alcohol, smoking and general life issues and puts them in to perspective.

It also made me more open to exploring different styles of music due to the fact beforehand my taste revolved around current chart/ dance music however passengers genre was indie folk/ country music, which I had never looked at before. However I now enjoy exploring different artists and listening to new music with an open mind.


This album is very raw and sentimental to his life experiences and tells a story of his life and how he came in to fame.  The fact that it is all very real and is a representation of him and his past connects with me emotionally and manipulates me to feel more of a connection with him and his music. The fact that it is also very relatable and explored real life problems creates a bond between you and the artist and makes me feel sympathetic towards him but also rejoice with him for the battles he has fought and he has overcome. It is very inspiring that he has come from nothing to such fame and therefore speaks out to people and tells them to follow their dreams no matter how complex they might be. This therefore has a positive impact on other people’s lives If they wish to take his advice on board and make a difference to who they are and to make sure they write their own story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.