A Text That Changed My Life | Media Diary 5

About 4 years ago in school, we decided to watch The Impossible, a film based on the Tsunami in Thailand on Boxing Day 2004. The film consists of a family of a mum, dad and 3 boys who go to Thailand over Christmas, however they're holiday is ruined when a Tsunami separates the family on Boxing Day. Throughout the film we follow the sepearte journeys of each member of the family, and we empathise with them as they struggle to get through this hard time. Like the majority of films, this one has a happy ending but the almost through the whole film, I was on the edge of my seat, going through the emotional and physical  pain of the Tsunami with the family.

When I first watched it I was in Year 8 and although at times it shocked me, I really didn't connect with the film and I came out of the class feeling nothing about the film because I didn't pay much attention as I wasn't really interested in watching it. 2 years later, we watched it again in geography and my view on the impossible was completely different. From the start until the end I was gripped and felt like I was watching a different film because I didn't remember it being as sad as it was 2 years before. The way the characters interact with each other makes us fully believe they're a genuine family, and then when the Tsunami hits and they're separated, I felt so frustrated at times for the characters knowing how close yet how far they were from each other and desperately wanting them to reunite.

Although this film hasn't changed my life in an obvious way it's made me emphasise with people involved in disasters like these, and The Impossible now stands out to me as the most emotional and gripping films I have ever watched, which rarely happens in my case because it takes a lot to grab my attention when it comes to films especially to keep my attention throughout the whole film, and I know I will never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.