Media Diary Week 6.

The text I'm going to Analyze in relation to my 'guilty pleasure', is going to be Americas Next Top Model. This text is a TV series, about a competition, in which women from all over the U.S. compete, in honor of being America's next "it girl" in the modeling world. The main host of the show is Tyra Banks, who herself is a major inspiration in the modeling industry. The target audience for this series would defiantly be The Aspirer. This is due to their core need in life being status, and the idea that image counts. Recently, America's Next Top Model has became a program where viewers and consumers can get involved, and message the contestants on why they are their favorites, or criticize them about their participation in the show. Because of this, I think the TV show suits the Aspirers, hence them being materialistic, acquisitive people, who may be driven by other peoples perceptions  of them, rather than their own values.

I would class myself as being part of The Mainstream category, so due to this, I think by watching Americas Next Top Model, it seems like a media text I wouldn't usually consume. Normally, I consume media texts such as Fantasy, Drama, and Mystery, so this is something I wouldn't watch if I didn't want to try something new. Also, when it comes to consuming Media texts, I think I could be classed as an Explorer. I would base this on the fact that I like to try out new ideas an experiences. For example, most people will consume the same series/films as others, however I find it more interesting to watch things like Kyle XY or Lost, which are less known in a sense, and I can form my own opinion, instead of hearing what other people think about it first.

This text intends to bring out the fact that image is important, and as a viewer, I watch the show and consume with a preferred reading, enjoying the show for what it is. I think that it's important to embrace the way you look, and the show enforces that, but also consists of tips and help to bring out the best, which I agree with.

I think this show makes me question and challenge which of the '4C's' groups I fit into. After watching Americas Next Top Model, I have realized that I find it important to look good, and I personally believe that other people shouldn't tell us how to look, but their input can be important on how to improve. When referring to 'Maslows Hierarchy Of Needs', the show appeals to my our Esteem needs, in relation to confidence based on the good opinions of others, admiration, self-worth/acceptance, and self-confidence. Tyra Banks is an inspirational woman, so having her as a main host on the show also appeals to me when watching the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.