Media Diary week 1

 Step Brothers


Step Brothers is a 2008 American slapstick comedy film starring Will Ferrell and John Reilly and directed by Adam McKay. Will stars as 39 year old Brennan Huff and John stars as 40 year old Dale Doback. Both men are unemployed, middle aged, spoiled, offensive, self-centered men who live and are reliant on their parents. They have absolutely no intention of moving out or even finding jobs. After Brennan's mother Nancy (played by Mary Steenburgen) marries Dale's father Robert (played by Richard Jenkinson), Brennan and Dale are both forced to live together. The first rule that Dale lays on Brennan is too never touch his drum set. However, while Dale is out one day Brennan decides to play on his drum set. After Dale returns, he notices that there's a chip in his left drumstick and accuses Brennan of touching his drums, after a strong argument, Brennan runs up the stairs after saying to Dale "I'm gonna go put my nutsack on your drum set" and proceeds to do so. I feel this film appeals to me since I tend to laugh at very immature jokes that any normal person wouldn't laugh at. Another example of this is when Robert sets them up with interviews, they go there dressed in tuxedos and request to be interviewed as a team. In the final interview, in looks like they're about to finally get a job after so many failed interviews, Dale lets out a fart. Again, with my very immature sense of humor i find that scene hysterical. One of my favorite scenes from the film is when Dale and Brennan attempt to start up their own company called "Prestige Worldwide" in which they premiere their first music video called "Boats N Hoes" (which got stuck in my head for about a week the first time I heard it) during which it shows them accidentally crashing Roberts boat. This causes Robert to divorce Nancy and blames it all on Brennan and Dale. They both get into a fight over who's fault it was and decide to go their separate ways. My other favorite scene is when Dale and Brennan return to the park and brawl with looks like around 45 children as they gain revenge from an earlier attack on them earlier in the film in watch Brennan was forced to like white dog poo. 

I feel the type of people who would watch this film would be around 13-18 years old and maybe older depending on their sense of humor. I also feel that the gender that would watch this film more are males since there are a lot of jokes made which mainly teenage boys would find funny. The film has been given a 5.5/10 score from film review website Rotten Tomatoes, however, from my point of view I feel this film is 98 minutes (105 for the unrated edition) of pure comedy gold     

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.